Friday, November 20, 2009

#4 AMMON- NAET TREAMENTS

Ammon hadn't eaten solid food for six weeks. I was worried. When I found the web site for the NAET treatments (www.naet.com), although it seemed to good to be true, I had the most overwhelming feeling it was the answer. It was!

I made an appointment with a local doctor that had several years of NAET training. After the first visit and treatment, Ammon came home and ate solid food. Because I was so very concerned for his health, I continued to take him for NAET treatments three times a week. During the first month of treatment, I noticed definite changes in Ammon and was really excited.

The year previous, Ammon had been seeing a therapist on a weekly basis for his tactile sensitivities. During the first month of NAET, I had been too busy to take him to his regular therapist. At the end of the month, I took Ammon back to this therapist, but I did not tell him what had been happening. The therapist came out of the office at the end of the session SO EXCITED!!! "THIS IS NOT THE SAME KID! HE'S NOT AUTISTIC ANYMORE! NO WAY! FIRST HE DID THIS... THEN THIS....and THEN!!!! He did THIS!" The therapist was practically jumping off of the floor with excitement. As you can imagine, I left that office BURSTING with EXCITEMENT AND GRATITUDE.

We continued our 3 treatments a week for a number of months, and SLOWLY tapered off. After his first month of NAET treatments, I reviewed the neurologist's diagnosis papers that he'd sent and that I'd filled out and rated. 80% of the Asperger symptoms had completely resolved. What was new and different in those first few months that I can remember? I'll tell you:

Ammon looked people in the eye. He not only touched everything with an open hand, he seemed to relish it and really got into touching things with different textures. He cried when he watched a sad movie- no- SOBBED would be more accurate. Ammon was eating a little more each week, and his health was improving. His manner of communication straightened out, and he gave appropriate answers when questioned. His interests began to broaden. He stopped cowering and clinging. He discovered hand-eye coordination and was able to catch and throw. He began following directions. He started asking me "WHY?" questions, where he never had before.

It is impossible to quantify what changed. Today, four years later, Ammon has no trace of Aspergers. More in the next post.

2 comments:

  1. Can you explain a little more about the NAET treatments? How long did Ammon need to be on them? Is it a lifelong thing he'll need to do? How long were the appointments? Was it painful? Did you need to make dietary changes as well?

    I'm so glad you're telling his story. I'm going to link to it from my blog.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather-
    I'll leave explaining NAET in detail to the professionals, but mainly it is a means of treating what holistic doctors consider an "allergy" through pressure points while the patient is in contact with the allergen.

    It seams really weird, but I don't argue with what works! I didn't realize Ammon was so incredibly sensitive to so many things in his environment. He was having trouble with vitamins, fats, proteins, metals, and all sorts of things. No wonder he didn't want to touch anything.

    I don't know how many treatments Ammon has had over the years. I know that after the first 12-15 treatments he had in the first month brought about a big change. We continued taking him 3 times a week for probably at least 6 months. There was soooooo much he needed to be treated for. Dr. Devi has a special kit for autistics that include treating for immunization reactions, viruses known to cause it, and chemicals in the brain that are involved in it. Ammon was treated for all of that after his nutritional issues were cleared up first.

    As we progressed, and I got tired of taking him... we slowed down. For some time, if we didn't take him twice a week, I'd see signs that he was struggling. Probably 6 months later, we went to once a week (whew!), then once a month, and for the last couple of years maybe 3 times a year when I notice something's a little "off" with him.

    Appointments take about 40 minutes.

    Two things I REALLY LIKE about NAET is that it doesn't hurt at all!!!! My kids LOVE going to their NAET doctor. The other thing that is a big plus is that you don't have to take nasty dietary supplements like some autism treatment therapies!

    Maybe this will help you understand- If you're familiar with the supplement treatments that have shown big improvements in autistic kids.

    If the autistic person is in need of a (lets say) calcium supplement because they have very little in their body, it might help. However, it is really quite a pain to try and force it down your kids throat! Besides- according to NAET, if you have a deficiency it is probably because you're "allergic" to calcium. After NAET resolves the bodies "annoyance" with calcium, the autistic person's body begins absorbing calcium from their food, and they no longer need the supplement. (assuming there's a decent supply of it in their diet)

    With NAET, the only changes in diet that are needed are to avoid the substance that you have been treated for for the next 24 hours (usually). If you are treated for milk, you'd avoid it for a day and then be able to resume consuming it.

    Does that help? There really is so much to learn about this. I appreciate the question.

    ReplyDelete