Friday, November 20, 2009

#5 AMMON- WHAT HE SAID ABOUT HOW IT FELT TO HAVE ASPERGERS:

You must understand, that although Ammon had Aspergers, and although he'd been through a lot of treatments, I never once mentioned in front of him that there was anything wrong with him. I ensured that others around him also did not mention it to him. One day about a year and a half after his NAET treatments began, (and he was light years improved) Ammon and I were in the car. Out of the blue, Ammon decided to tell me:

"Mom- I remember how it used to be... It used to be that there was a web around my brain. It was getting tighter and tighter and I couldn't get out!"

I just about drove off the road. He remembered! He was stuck in his head, and he wanted to "get out".

That is when I knew that these autistic children are IN THERE- knowing and understanding all that goes on around them, but not being able to show that they understand. When they try the wrong response comes out. How terribly frustrating that must be for them. I remember hearing the story of a non-verbal autistic teanager who at long last had learned how to communicate by typing. People asked her a lot of questions which she happily typed answers to. The question that grabbed me was "What was the hardest thing about not being able to communicate?" This girl's answer was, "When someone said they loved me, not being able to say, 'I love you too'".

Ammon expressing his memory to me about how he had felt was the beginning of my knowing I had to share his story. I don't want any child/person out there on the autism spectrum to be locked in their brain. What a terrible prison. Don't give up on them. Keep searching for their solution. Give NAET a try. It isn't an instant fix, and some treatments seem more effective than others, but it works. I absolutely recommend reading Devi Nambudripad's book, "Say Good-Bye to Autism". It is available on her web site, www.naet.com, and on Amazon. This book explains how she discovered her method is effective for autism, and what to expect and look for during treatments.

Devi does not know I'm telling this story, and I'm not "advertising for her", I'm just urging you to check it out because it has helped Ammon and our family so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment